Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Making Science More Better For You on 11/04/08

Headlines of the day

Party Host In Manatee Arrested After Guest Loses His Ear (TBO.COM)
Now that's a party. It's not easy keeping the correct meth to Bud ratio.

Nudists want to vote in the buff (CNN)
We're not going to make any jokes about pulling the lever, not us.

Flag-waving gunman closes Calif. highway for hours (AP)
Police identified the man as 28-year-old Eddie Van Tassel, proving that you can't make up the good ones.


A political interlude
recycled from this past January
(It seems appropriate)

Senator Patrick Leahy’s (D-Vermont) recent endorsement of Barack Obama offered the candidate more than just the support of a member of the Senate’s old guard.

It also provided Senator Obama with entree to an relatively untilled voting block—Grateful Dead fans. Leahy is perhaps the most visible “Dead Head” among politicians.” He has been known to play “Truckin’” at his post-election rallies, claims “Black Muddy River” as his favorite song and sent a congratulatory video to Bob Weir when the band received a Lifetime Achieve Award at the 2002 Jammy’s. Please, no pajama jokes. It’s been done.

While Senator John Kerry’s endorsement brought with it a gilded rolodex and held the potential of access to George Soros and the like, Leahy’s offers the chance to all patchoulied up with folks like “The Grilled Cheese Guy” and several young ladies who go by the sobriquet “Moonbeam.”

It also offers the rest of us the hope that, should he win, the new President might deliver an inaugural speech that goes something like this.

My fellow citizens.

“Well the first days are the hardest days, don't you worry any more,
'Cause when life looks like Easy Street, there is danger at your door.
Think this through with me, let me know your mind,
Wo, oh, what I want to know, is are you kind?”

“Who can deny, who can deny, it's not just a change in style?
One step down and another begun and I wonder how many miles.”

“See here how everything led up to this day,
And it's just like any other day that's ever been.
Sun going up and then the sun going down.”

“I have spent my life seeking all that's still unsung.
Bent my ear to hear the tune, and closed my eyes to see.
When there was no strings to play, you played to me.”

“Sometimes the light's all shinin' on me;
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me What a long, strange trip it's been.”

“I love you all, but Jesus loves you the best”
And I bid you goodnight, goodnight, goodnight.”

Oh, and one more thing… we think he's going to "get a miracle."

Peace out Yo

No comments: